Yan Ting(宴庭)@ St. Regis, Singapore

Address: The St. Regis Singapore, Level 1U, 29 Tanglin Road, Singapore 247911
Price: $$$$
Rating: 3.5/5

Inspired by the Ming Dynasty, Yan Ting(宴庭)served authentic Cantonese cuisine at The St. Regis Singapore. The Ming Dynasty was the period when authentic Chinese culinary art flourished.

I read quite a number of posts from other food blogs sharing the delicious Cantonese cuisine served by Yan TIng. I have been wanting to try the food many times. Finally, I had the opportunity to celebrate Mother's Day at the restaurant.

I made a last minute reservation and added two extra dishes - the longevity peach buns and longevity noodles. That day was also my grandmother's birthday. So we had a Mother's Day Celebration Set Menu. Each person for the set menu, excluding the extra dishes and dim sum, and taxes, costs $138++.

Overall, we enjoyed the food immensely. Although the service might be a little slow and inconsistent, the entire experience was great. The service staff were attentive and friendly. My mum dropped her napkin and could not find it under the table. Without asking, the service staff went to get her a new piece.  That little attention touched me.





Longevity Peach Buns were Chinese steamed buns in a shape of a peach with lotus paste filling. It was then topped with pink colour. Peaches were Chinese symbols of longevity and were eaten during birthday celebrations of the elderly. It was my first time I ate a peach bun. I loved the bun and its filling. The paste was just nice. I enjoyed it and ate two pieces. (Food Rating: 3.5/5)




For appetizers, we were served with Deep-fried Yam Croquette with Diced Chicken, steamed Abalone and Pork Dumpling, and Steamed Spinach with Scallop Dumpling. I started from the left - Steamed Spinach with Scallop Dumpling, The dumpling skin was like the Shrimp Dumpling (Ha Gau) translucent. When I chewed on the dumpling, I could not taste the sweetness of the fresh scallop. Then, I tasted the Steamed Abalone and Pork Dumpling. The pork dumpling or Shao Mai was heavenly. I could see my guests' eyes dilated. It was definitely delicious. I could feel my taste buds exploding. Deep-fried Yam Croquette with Diced Chicken was savoury. I could taste the chicken chunks embedded in the yam croquette. Amongst the three appetizers, the Steamed Abalone and Pork Dumpling was the best, followed by the Steamed Spinach with Scallop Dumpling. (Food Rating: 3.5/5)


Yan Ting served Dim Sum on weekends. We ordered a couple of dim sum to try. We ordered the egg custard bun and pan-fried carrot cake. The mini egg custard buns were delicious. I wondered how they made the bun and the egg custard mixture. The soft spongy bun was filled with egg custard and salted duck egg yolk. Yummy!



The Pan-fried Carrot Cake was equally nice. I could taste the chinese waxed sausage. It was perfectly cooked and I loved it. However, it lacked something else somehow. Immediately, I thought of Pan-fried Carrot Cake I had at Zi Yean Restaurant which tasted better. (Food Rating: 3/5)



Chicken Consomme with Ginseng and Fish Maw was marvelicious! I enjoyed the soup immensely. The broth was delicious and full of collagen. The chicken meat was very tender. The soup reminded me of another similar soup. It tasted like drinking a home-made soup. (Food Rating: 4/5)


Steamed Sea Perch Fillet in Traditional Style surprised all of us. The fish fillet was tender, delicate and sweet. The sauce was subtle yet rich in flavour. All of us were full of praise of the fillet. The timing, sauce and dedication to make this dish was commendable. This was one of the best steamed fish fillet I had ever eaten. (Food Rating: 4.5/5)


The Braised Sea Cucumber with 'Bai Ling' Mushroom in Golden Sauce looked very simple yet very palatable. The sea cucumber was very cooked and jelly-like. The richness in flavour of the sauce enhanced the taste of the seafood. (Food Rating: 3.5/5)


Another delicious dish I loved at Yan Ting, Plain Noodles in XO Sauce with Lobster. The noodles were perfectly cooked in al dente style. The lobster was well cooked too. It was crispy and fresh. The noodles cooked with bean sprouts and in XO sauce. None of us put down our chopsticks. Instead, all of us were eating the yummy noodles despite of the fact that we were bloated. Our stomachs were showing at the end of this meal. (Food Rating: 4.5/5)


When the dessert came, my grandmother and mother was discussing how the Silky Mango Roll was made. The richness in flavour, which we believed was made of glutinous rice, coconut milk and perhaps pandan leaves, was addictive. The sweetness of the mango complemented the white skin roll. Super Duper Yummy!!! Then, the Crispy Water Chestnut Cake was swept us off our feet. The chestnut was crunchy. Another serious discussion on how the cake was done started once more. The cake was pan-fried where we could see a little charred at each side of the cube. (Food Rating: 3.5/5)

Comments